Saturday, February 13, 2010

BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW

I love this corney old Motown love song by the Stylistics! Its early 1970's and just a simple love song. Along with so much other music I have taught my children over the years, I know they learned a lot by "default"...it was just around so often. I sang this old BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW to the kids as a lullaby and even today they will hear it in a store or somewhere and start to sing along. How can you not like the Stylistics? I guess you could, but I can't. "Masterpiece " is another lullaby and "default song" at our house. I sang it for the first time as a solo when our Caleb was very little. He memorized the Scripture from Psalm 139 which Sandi Patti uses in her recording of the song, and he recited it for me. From that moment on it became what my children call "THE SONG" I have sung it many times since Caleb was small, including at Malachi's high schol graduation, to Leah, Rachel and Isaiah in Cambodia when they were so scared on our first evening togther, I sang it to Baby Charlie the night he was born and have sung it to him ever since. That in mind, I rearranged my play list for Jael in honor of her birthday and for Valentines' Day which only exists because of God our Heavenly Father. our Father who calls us the "apple of His eye" and whom Scripture tells us "sings over us".... LOVE.........For GOD so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in HIM should not perish but have everlasting life!" "We love Him because HE FIRST LOVED US" "But God commends His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us!" BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW................that is love!!!!!!!!!!! God has given us a tiny understanding of His love and sometimes we use it wisely and sometimes we frankly waste it. Waste it on the superficial, the temporal, the unimportant. For Valentine's Day I want to focus on not wasting a minute of this secular "holiday" on silly stuff. I want to love on my family , offer my best to my Father, pray more lovingly for others, set a new bar for what "Valentine's Day" is really about........God who created love, pouring that love out on us so tht we could pour it out on others. The last line of "Desert Song" resonates in my heart over and over and fits right here...
"I know I'm filled to be emptied again The seed I 've received I will sow........"

No comments: